Bronte is now well into her Lyme/anaplasmosis treatment and I am noticing some wonderful benefits. She is very happy, is jumping up and down off beds and couches with abandon, and and she’s eating very well. She’s wrestling constantly with Clue. In the whole I’m thrilled. She is starting to act like herself. Having said that, I am still concerned that there’s some permanent damage – she just LOOKS different. She’s stiffer all over; carries herself oddly. I honestly think a vet would say the symptoms had been resolved, but I can see changes.
I haven’t made a decision about ever breeding her again. Actually, it’s more accurate to say that I have decided, multiple times a day, back and forth. I will take her out in the morning and she’ll look like CRAP and I’ll be ready to call and make her spay appointment and then a few hours later I’ll say “Oh, wow, you’re moving those stifles MUCH better right now” and start to think about how gorgeous the GoGo puppies are. If I had to be pinned down, honestly I feel more comfortable with the thought of her being done and spayed. At that point she may stay with me and do some tracking training or I’ve got a couple of possible homes with people who adore her. She really is such a GOOD girl, loving and quiet and silly and super obedient, that everyone falls in love with her.
The best-case scenario is that once she’s getting tons of exercise again the inflammation-related changes in the joints will resolve and she’ll look 100% better, and I get her out and finish her fast. And in that case you may see me making totally different decisions with her. But right now she’s coming out of being pretty dang sick and I want her to have the best possible chance at a long and stress-free life.